If you’ve got wall to wall carpeting in your home then you’ll know better than anyone, that it most likely makes quite a large dent in your wallet. Like any large investment, it makes sense to care and protect it in order to preserve its beautiful appearance and the warm, cozy feeling that it adds to your home.
Here are 4 essential steps that you can take in order to improve the longevity of your carpets or rugs.
The most important part of carpet care is to vacuum as often as you can. This should take place once a day if possible, but a minimum of once a week. Vacuuming removes the gritty particles that get carried inside on the bottom of shoes. Vacuuming prevents this dust and dirt from settling within the fibers of your carpets or rugs. If you’ve ever wondered why a carpet goes flat, it’s because the dirt and grit get trodden in by foot traffic, damaging the fibers, causing them to be sliced or cut. Regular vacuuming also helps remove the pet hairs, particles of sand, small bugs, and flakes of skin that sink to the bottom of your carpet. You probably weren’t aware, but your carpet acts like a filter, collecting all the small particles that float around in the air.
Accidents do happen, and when a spill occurs, it’s vital that it gets cleaned up immediately. Leaving the spots or stains to sit will become permanent and will be very difficult or even impossible to remove later down the road. Try to remove stains or spills using clean cold water. First of all, remember never to rub the stain, as this will then spread it. Instead, blot the stain with a white paper towel or cloth. In the event of pet ‘accidents’, it’s best to call out the professionals, due to their specialized chemicals and cleaning techniques to rid you of the smell.
Many people don’t realize the importance of hiring a professional, certified, and competent cleaner to give their carpet a clean. Most carpet manufacturers recommend hot water extraction and suggest a time frame of at least once a year. If you wait until your carpet looks dirty, then you’ve left it too long.
Many carpets these days are pre-treated with a protective coating that offers resistance to stains. Over time, due to chemicals used in cleaning or through general wear and tear, the protective coating wears off. This will cause your carpet to become more susceptible to permanent stains. Ask your carpet cleaner if they can apply a protective coating for you. It may cost, but it’s money well spent in our opinion.
Basic Questions To Ask Your Carpet Cleaner
When you are looking for someone to come into your home and clean the carpets, you want a company you can trust, to not only efficiently clean your home, but someone who is also honest and looking out for your best interests as well. While the majority of carpet cleaners will do a decent job in your home, there are those who will go above and beyond to produce outstanding results and service. Of course, on the other hand, there are those who just seem to do more harm than good.
So how do you tell one from the other? And more importantly, how can you choose a carpet cleaner who is the best of the best, able to achieve the most outstanding results for your home and carpets? Here we look at the different questions you should always ask your carpet cleaner before they come to do work at your home.
- What Are Your Qualifications? You wouldn’t want an unqualified doctor treating you when you are ill, and you also don’t want an inexperienced technician cleaning your carpets. You should always ask your carpet cleaners what kind of training or experience they have, especially when working with your type of carpet or flooring. A good carpet cleaner should have years of experience and relevant training, in order to fulfill the job properly.
- Do You Have Relevant Certifications? Some areas require certifications for carpet cleaning, so if this is the case in your area, make sure your carpet cleaner has the relevant licenses and certificates. You can answer part of this question by doing the needed research about your area of living, before calling in the experts.
- Do You Inspect The Carpet? When finding a carpet cleaner you must look for real value for money and a company that is more likely to complete the job properly. A carpet cleaner who comes to inspeultra-violet light the carpet and survey your home is definitely the better choice. A proper carpet inspection provides many benefits, allowing your cleaner to get an idea of the costing for the project before they start work. It can also help to ensure that your carpet is getting all the relevant care it needs, and any areas that are stained get special attention.
- What Cleaning Systems Do You Use? Every client wants to know if their carpet cleaner is using a cleaning system that is safe, effective, environmentally friendly and good for their carpets. These are the highest priorities when it comes to choosing a cleaning method. You want to choose the most modern and up to date method because these tend to be the safest and most effective. Older methods might rely on harsh chemicals that can damage the carpet or even your health, so these are best avoided.
- Do You Offer Guarantees? It’s good to know what kind of guarantees your carpet cleaner will offer should something go wrong. Will they fix the mistakes? What kind of guarantee can they give about removing stains or smells? Asking these questions can help to gauge the level of care and reassurance your carpet cleaner can offer. This question will take all your worries away, offering you peace of mind before, during, and after the job is finished.
- Do You Have Proper Insurance? Its life, and sometimes things can go wrong. That is just a matter of fact in our lives. When it comes to the carpets in your home, something going wrong can turn into a very expensive mistake. Before carpet cleaners come to work in your home, it’s important you make certain whether they have the relevant insurance to cover any mistakes or accidents that may arise.
- Is the Price ‘What You See Is What You Get’? There’s nothing worse than having work done and the price skyrocketing due to added fees, hidden costs, or unforeseen expenses. Most of us would prefer to have an all-inclusive price given upfront, so asking if your carpet cleaner can offer that will aid you in making a well-informed decision while hiring.
It may be a while since you’ve had professional carpet cleaning … probably too long! But that doesn’t mean you can’t choose the right cleaner for you. By asking these various questions, you can find the right carpet cleaner, to minimize the risk of damage and accidents occurring, in order to get the best results in your home every time.